Sunday, November 9, 2008

Regarding omasum

I woke up somewhat late today and had an odd craving for omasum. For those unfamiliar with the term, omasum is a kind of tripe. More specifically, it is one of the four cow stomachs. This fact (and its appearance) might put off some people, but those who know me well know that I am usually willing to eat anything animal-based. (If you're interested in veggie dishes, feel free to forget about this blog).


Omasum has a unique, albeit weak flavor. Personally, I enjoy it for the texture. When cooked right, it is rather crisp (overcooking makes it really soft). I've previously consumed it in two forms: as a side during hot pot, and as a dish during dim sum. I don't know how to prepare it the dim sum way but would be most interested in learning, so if you know it, please contact me!


My preparation was simple: cut the omasum into thin strips and flash cook in boiling water for ~2 minutes. Then eat by dipping into a mixture of soy sauce and sesame oil.


I have to confess that the result was very disappointing: very bland (even with the soy sauce) and not very filling. The funny thing is, this is basically the way omasum is consumed during hot pot---yet in that case, it tastes amazing! I guess that is due to the added flavor of the other components and the soup base.

Let me conclude by saying that the next time I crave omasum, I'll go for dim sum or hot pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment